Log in

CAN-college - LMS

Can-College is a Government-approved ISP and a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)- number is: O262228554872

Use the following button

to log in or out

Student Visa Application Guide-Support Resources

Study in Canada as an international student (Guide)

Information contained in this website/page is free, for Can-College’s prospect students and  intended as general education/guidance based information only. The information shared/ contained on this website is not a legal advice in any way. It should not be construed as legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No counsel-client relationship arises as a result of accessing or reading the information contained in this website.

Public Information   Click Here to Apply Admission

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

Conditional acceptance and prerequisite courses

If you’ve been conditionally accepted, this means you need to take prerequisite courses. For example, these might be English as a second language or French as a second language courses. You must complete these before you can start your main study program.

If this is the case, IRCC will only issue your study Visa for the length of those courses (program) plus 1 year. Once you’re accepted into your main program, you’ll need to apply for a new student permit to extend your stay as a student.

Recommended supporting documents to process study visa application

Letter of explanation

This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains

  • why you want to study in Canada and
  • that you understand your responsibilities as a student

You should include this letter if you decide to apply for a study visa or permit, even if you don’t have to get a study permit for your program.

Proof of available funds to support your stay and study  in Canada

Proof of financial support

You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with

  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past 4 months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program

Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you):

Persons coming to Canada Amount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition) Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student)  CAN$10,000  CAN$833
First family member  CAN$4,000  CAN$333
Every additional accompanying family member CAN$3,000 CAN$255


If you and 2 family members want to come to a province outside Quebec for a year, you will need

  • living expenses: $10,000 (for the student)
  • living expenses: $4,000 (for the first family member)
  • living expenses: $3,000 (for the second family member)
    Total: $17,000

Study permits: Assessing the application (Decision maker’s perspective)

English Language Govt. Directions

Tips when dealing with a consultant or a lawyer.

If you’re hiring a paid representative:

  • find out if they’re authorized
    • This means they have a license to practice and give advice
    • If you choose a paid representative who’s not authorized, we may return your application or refuse it
    • If you give a representative money or compensate them in any other way in exchange for their services, they’re considered paid and must be authorized
  • ask about the representative’s training and experience
    • Ask for references and find out how long they’ve been in business
  • discuss the services they’ll provide as well as their fee
  • make sure to get a written contract and read it carefully before you sign it
    • Make sure it lists all the services they’ll give you and clearly states the fee you discussed

Tips to protect yourself from fraud

  • Be careful of anything that sounds too good to be true
    • Using a representative will not draw special attention to your application or guarantee that we’ll approve it
  • Beware of representatives who encourage you to give false information in your application
    • It’s against the law, and you could be denied entry into Canada or deported after you arrive
  • Don’t leave original documents or photos with your representative
  • Don’t sign blank application forms
  • Don’t sign forms or documents unless you can read them
    • If you don’t understand them, ask someone to translate
  • Make sure to get copies of any documents your representative makes for you
  • Any time you pay your representative, get a signed receipt
  • Make sure your representative updates you on your application often
  • Protect your money and remember:
    • Visa Office/IRCC never call you and ask you to deposit money into a personal bank account
    • Visa Office/IRCC never ask you to transfer money through a private money transfer company
    • Visa Office/IRCC processing fees are in Canadian dollars and they’re the same around the world

Learn more about how to protect yourself from fraud.

If you’re having problems with your representative, see:

Representation or advice for consideration

IRPA - 91 (1) Subject to this section, no person shall knowingly, directly or indirectly, represent or advise a person for consideration — or offer to do so — in connection with the submission of an expression of interest under subsection 10.1(3) or a proceeding or application under this Act.

How to apply

Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.

How applying online helps you

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time – the Visa Office gets your application instantly.
  • Your applications may be processed more quickly.
  • It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • You can quickly submit more documents online (if the Visa Office asks you to).
  • You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.

Step 1: Make sure you have what you need

To apply online, you’ll need:

  • a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
  • a valid credit or debit card.

Step 2: Read the instruction guide

Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.

Step 3: Prepare your application  for the online submission

Before you can upload your forms, you must and the Visa Officer some questions. The tool uses your information and create a personalized document checklist for you.

Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay

In most cases, your fees will include:

  • processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
  • biometrics

The Visa Office ’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.

Biometrics fee

In most cases, you should pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

Step 5: Create your online account or sign in

If you need an eTA or visa

If you need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visa, the Visa Office ’ll issue it automatically at the same time as your study permit. You don’t need to apply separately or pay another fee.

You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:

  • pay your fees
  • submit your application
  • check your status

After you apply

1. You need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)

In most cases, you need to give biometrics. After you pay the biometrics fee and submit your application, the Visa Office ’ll send you a letter that says you need to give your biometrics. The letter will tell you how and where to give your biometrics. You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics in person.

If you didn’t pay the biometrics fee, the Visa Office ’ll send you a letter asking you to do this first. You’ll only get the instruction letter if you pay the biometrics fee.

Find out more about how to give your biometrics and where to give your biometrics.

2. Visa office will  process your study visa application

IRCC will check your application to make sure you have all the necessary documents. If it’s incomplete, they may return your application without processing it.

The Visa Office  may also ask you to:

  • go to an interview with our officials in your country or
  • send us more information

You may also need to get a:

Updating your application

If you move or change your address, telephone number or any other contact information after you apply, you must update your application.

If the Visa Office approves your application

The Visa Office will send you a letter of introduction. This letter is not your study permit. You need to show it to an officer when you arrive in Canada. The Visa Office ’ll also send you an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada.

If you’re from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about your eTA. Your eTA will be linked to your passport and valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. You must travel with the passport you used when you applied for your study permit.

If you’re from a country where you need a visitor visa, the visa will be in your passport. It’ll show if you can enter Canada once or multiple times. You must enter Canada before your visa expires.

If the Visa Office  refuse your application

The Visa Office ’ll send you a letter explaining why.

The Visa Office  may refuse your application if you didn’t:

  • show proof that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in Canada
  • pass your medical exam, if you needed to get one
  • convince the visa officer that your main purpose in Canada is to study or
  • convince the visa officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your study period

If you have questions about why you the Visa Office re refused, contact the visa office that sent you the refusal letter.

Canadian Career Education Education College is Registered as a private career college under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005”  © 2014-2023 Can-College. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software